Monday, August 8, 2011

"Olympism is the marriage of sport and culture." -Juan Antonio Samaranch

Just to start off, I had no idea that "olympism" was a word, but I'll just go with this one.  I don't really know any good sports quotes, because I am definitely not an athletic person, but there are a select few sporting events I love to watch:

1.  Tennis:  Wimbledon and the U.S. Open are my special favorites.  Go Djokovic! :)
2.  Men's Soccer:  It's the universal sport!  The World Cup is just so much fun to watch and so are the players.... :)  Here's the official song from last year's, because I think it's fun:


And the book Outcasts United by Warren St. John is a great book about a refugee soccer team that I read last year.  It really captured something about the spirit of soccer and how it can unify people and cultures.  Here's the link:  Outcasts United Site.  So check it out. :)
3.  The Olympics:  Of course.  I mean, who doesn't love the world coming together for a competitive yet unifying sporting event that has everything you'd ever want to watch plus more!  (I mean, no offense to ribbon twirling, but really?  There's a reason they show you in the wee hours of the morning!)  I can't wait until next year's London's summer Olympics.  I'm looking forward to see if they can do something crazy awesome like Beijing's drummers:


I mean, that was just awesome!  How on earth did they coordinate that all?  I remember watching that live and I was covered in goosebumps.  It was truly epic.  And I'm going to be completely honest, I don't think London will even come close to beating this.  In all of the Olympics I've lived to see, this one is far above the rest.  There was just something different, and I don't think they'll be beaten for a while.  But it just feels like it's about time for a big event like the World Cup or the Olympics soon.  And I am looking forward to the U.S. Open that's coming up soon.  Djokovic's going to win the whole thing! :)  So that's my sporting rave.  Enjoy the videos! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment