Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Reading a book is like re-writing it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms." -Angela Carter

Today, which has already been an emotionally exhausting day, my mom was talking to my sister and said something about how books change. And it's true. Every time you re-read a book, you get more from it. Different things stand out, and the things that seemed so important and obvious before become mere details. If you read a book when you're young, then revisit it years later, sometimes it's like you're reading a completely different book. This quote explains this phenomenon perfectly. What you see in a book is a reflection of how you're experiencing life at the moment. That's why people connect with certain characters more than others. I think the same goes for TV shows, movies, and any story that's being told. 

Yesterday, my roommate commented that I love drama-filled TV shows. While I like shows like Downton Abbey, Gilmore Girls, Sherlock, and various others that have lots of characters with multiple story lines (not so much with Sherlock), I don't like them for the "drama" of the stories. I love shows with great storytelling, in-depth character development, and relatable characters that I connect with on some level. She assumed I watch all the shows I do for pure love of drama (which obviously isn't true, at least in my own life). I do like the characters and their stories, and that is why I'm a TV show and book addict.

Books are the perfect way to escape your life for a moment (or a day) and lose yourself in another story. It's completely true that when you sit down with a book, you read it in a completely different way than anyone else. When you read, you read your version of the story. The story becomes your own, and you add to it with any experiences you've had. That's why I love reading.

I think that's all I can write for today. But today's the final day of my blog's birthday countdown! So enjoy this song (Warning: it swears and talks about drug use. For some reason I still like it . . . .):


And I will be back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment