Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -J.K. Rowling

Boo grows up for Toy Story 3
I just found this online somewhere, and it completely boggled my mind. Apparently Boo from Monsters, Inc. makes an appearance in Toy Story 3. I knew that the superhero movies made by Marvel all had references to each other (leading up the the big one, a movie called The Avengers). I didn't realize that Pixar did this as well. Pixar confirmed that they used the same voice for both these characters, so my obvious conclusion is that the girl shown in the daycare is a slightly grown-up Boo. Here's the video if you need more proof.


So decide for yourself. I'm going with it. I think it's Boo. This video led me to a few other clips from Toy Story 3, which I only saw once, in a drive in theater, right before I went off to college. I feel like my generation grew up with characters like Andy in Toy Story and the whole Harry Potter gang. I can't help but feel proud to grow up with such wonderful, legendary stories. I watched a few great clips of Toy Story 3, but my favorite one sums up everything I want to convey today. Here's the ending scene of Toy Story 3. I couldn't help but tear up a bit while watching this. It's just wonderful:


The ending of this movie was just so beautifully sad, it's hard not to cry. Especially since I feel like I went through the same thing, and am still going through it, as I moved away from home and am trying to find where I'm going in the world. Another video worth watching is this one about the growth of the Harry Potter characters. The story, the characters, everything about the Harry Potter series defines my generation. It is something that will never be forgotten and will surely never leave my heart. Here's a fan made tribute that also makes me tear up a bit:


I grew up with these books and movies. I was the perfect age to get the book or movie at the same time the characters would receive their next Hogwarts letter. It felt special to go through them with so much time spacing it out. As great as it is to have marathons and watch a whole show or read a whole series in only a couple days, there is something special about having to wait for the next installment. With waiting comes anticipation, which is one of the greatest feelings when it's rewarded with something that far exceeds the mind's expectations. 

So in our rush to get every good thing in life, maybe we should spread things out a bit. If we spoil ourselves too often with being lazy on our computers, then it stops being a novelty. If we work and accomplish things, then sit down to relax on the internet, that time is well-earned and enjoyed that much more. If we read a few chapters of a book at a time, we have time to dwell on those things we read while we accomplish other things, and we bring a fresh and more extensive understanding to the book the next time we sit down to read it. I'm not suggesting that we completely disregard life's little pleasures for the sake of moderating ourselves. I just think that indulging too much in a good thing can make us ungrateful for the amazing things we experience daily. 

In a world where everything is just a mouse-click away, let's moderate our actions and not be those who are never satisfied with what we have. Let's not disregard life's little pleasures as trivial or easy to come by. Let's work for what we get, and let it be that much more sweet. Instant gratification is highly overrated, so let's keep a little bit of mystery and moderation in our life. Most of all, let's not get bored with all that we have, and truly respect life for what it is. 

Until tomorrow, here's the song from the Harry Potter tribute video, which I really like:


So sit for a few minutes and listen to it. See you back here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment