Friday, August 5, 2011

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." -Cyril Connolly

I know this quote might seem like a contradiction, because this blog is on the internet, where anyone can find it.  I started this blog, not to be read, but to write for the joy of writing.  I also want it to be a place where I can go back and see what I was thinking or what music I was listening to on a certain day.  So I liked this quote for today.  Well, yesterday I guess.  It's past midnight so this will be seen as Friday's post.  Oh well!

Today was a normal Thursday.  I didn't do anything great, grand, or wonderful, but I did start the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  It's one of those books that keeps you thinking.  As I read it, I wonder to myself what in our society today will be seen as intolerant and backwards?  When Skeeter writes to Harper & Row Publishers, she gets a reply that asks, "Don't waste your time on the obvious things.  Write about what disturbs you, particularly if it bothers no one else" (Pg. 83).  That's a great point for every writer to think about, in my opinion. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment